Choosing the right colour for your lighting can be a key element to creating a better environment for your home. Both Yellow Lights and White Lights can be important for you. The key point to consider when choosing between yellow and white lights is where they are going to be used. The light source of the room can impact everything in that room and it should be taken care of while installing it. Different rooms might require different kinds of lights.
Let’s first discuss what Yellow and White Lights actually are.
What are Yellow Lights?
Yellow Lights give out an inviting and homely glow. They have yellow undertones, much like a candle, they create a mellow and quiet mood. They can be great while driving as they work better in all kinds of weather be it rain or fog.
What are White Lights?
White Lights are bright and lively, they are often used in workplaces because white lights can make people attentive. They have a cooler, much brighter tone due to the presence of blue light. White Lights can, however, lead to a disruptive sleep cycle.
Yellow vs White Light
So, what is the difference between yellow and white lights?
Yellow Lights emit a warm and inviting glow whereas white lights can be brighter, cold, and could help you focus.
You may want to choose yellow lights for bedrooms and living rooms as they can be helpful for relaxing the human mind, alternatively, white lights can be used in places that will help you stay attentive and focused because of the high amount of blue light that is known for keeping you awake.
Correlated Colour Temperature (CCT) is how the colour of the light emerges from a lamp. It is measured in kelvins (K). Lights that have high CCT (4000K – 7000K) appear to be white whereas lights with low CCT ( 2700K – 3000K ) appear to be yellow.
|Yellow Light||White Light|
|Colour Temperature||2700K – 3000K||4000K – 7000K|
|Ambience||Cosy, Inviting||Crisp, Invigorating|
|Best for||Living Rooms, KitchensBedrooms|
Table / Floor Lamps, Pendants, Chandeliers
Task Lighting, Security Lighting
The table above shows how Yellow Lights can be used for Primary Lighting in areas like the Living Room, Kitchen, and Bedroom whereas, White Lights can be used where more attention and a brighter atmosphere is required like in the Garage or basements. However, you can always choose to experiment and see what looks and feels better for your home.
- Yellow Lights has been proven to be effective for protecting your eyes against harmful Blue light.
- Yellow Light helps to calm the mind.
- Yellow lights do not disrupt the circadian rhythm of your body thus, helping you sleep better.
- While driving, Yellow lights are great because they work better in fog, rain, or snow.
- Long exposure to Yellow lights can make it harder for you to focus on tasks.
- Some people might dislike the golden tone that yellow lights emit because it can alter the color of the room.
- White Lights are comparatively cooler and are often used in places that have hot and humid climates.
- White Lights are much brighter and can instantly liven up a place
- White Lights can be beneficial when you’re studying as it is proven to help you focus better.
- The standard white is around 6000K, which is actually blue light, blue light can be extremely stressful on the eyes.
- White Lights are too bright and can disrupt the circadian rhythm of the body causing you trouble sleeping.
- White Lights can feel uninviting and clinical which is not what you would want at the end of the day.
- White Lights have gained much popularity in recent times due to their bright light when driving.
So what is a better choice?
At the end of the day, it is a personal choice whether you want to choose yellow lights or white lights. There is no right or wrong answer for the choice because some people would rather have a bright and lively area that white lights provide, on the other hand, some people would love to create a cosy and warm living space for themselves even if it means choosing yellow lights that provide much less light.
Another thing that you might want to consider before choosing between either of the two is the place you live in. White lights are often popular in countries with hot and humid climates where White lights will create a rather cool environment. People living in countries that have relatively cooler climates would want to opt for yellow lights because it creates the ambience of very warm and calm.
Smart Bulbs have become very popular for the very sole reason that you can conveniently choose to change the colour of your lights without having to buy different coloured bulbs. For Instance, you can choose to change the colour of your room to white when the time calls for it and turn it to yellow when you want to unwind and relax at night.
I’m Robert and I’ve been a mechanical engineer my whole life. I have been fixing lights for a few years now and I want to help people decide what’s the best for them. Contact me if you think there are any changes to be made on the website.