Installing Security Lights is easier than you think.
You do not need to have electrical experience whatsoever to do it on your own. This will also be of great help monetarily by cutting down the cost of hiring a professional to do so. You will also be able to fix most of the issues that might arise later on after you’ve installed the lights on your own, saving you a lot of money.
Now, a quick google search will show you hundreds of answers that will further confuse you. In this article, I’m going to give you an easy step-by-step way to install security lights.
- 1 Requirements For Installing the Security Lights
- 1.1 Steps to Install the Security Lights
- 1.2 Some Additional Tips When Installing The Lights
- 1.3 Things to remember (Caution)
- 2 How do Motion Detectors work?
- 3 Maintenance
- 4 The Bottom Line
Requirements For Installing the Security Lights
- 4 – in – 1 screwdriver
- Voltage tester
- Wire stripper/cutter
Steps to Install the Security Lights
These steps are simple and easy to follow through:
1. Where to install the lights
The best place to place the security lights is 6 to 10 feet above the ground.
For better effectiveness, it is ideal to position the motion sensor in a way that covers your walk leading to your back and front doors and also your driveway. For better security, you can also use them to cover all the areas that are darker like your yard, swimming pools, or driveways.
2. Shut the Power Off
Turn the power off to the fixture at the main panel, make sure the current is off by testing the wires again.
3. Install a larger box
Replace the small box with a larger one if it’s too small.
4. Wire the Motion Sensors
Wire it through the base and screw the base onto the fixture, insert the wires through the rubber gasket which will act as a seal, keeping the moisture out.
5. Connect the wires
Connect the white wire of your house to the white wire of the light, the black wires with the black ones, and finally the grounding wires to the grounding ones.
6. Adjusting the light
Finally, adjust your light. Set the time duration you want to keep it on for, walk back and forth and gradually walk near the light to check if it detects you.
7. Limit the field of view
With plastic tape, cover a portion of the security light sensor if it becomes necessary to narrow its side-to-side view.
Some Additional Tips When Installing The Lights
- Make sure the cover of the outdoor box is water-resistant. The rubber gasket should be carefully sealed. Caulk it well if you are placing it against a surface that is rough.
- Moisture will ruin the light sockets and detector if it seeps in. To prevent this from happening, either locate the fixture under an eave or some protected area.
- The light bulb and the detector should be kept as far away as possible from each other because the heat of the light bulb can confuse the detector.
- The field of view angle should be adjusted and the distance range of the motion sensor should be set in a way that it does not mess up due to the normal passing traffic, animals, trees, and wind.
Things to remember (Caution)
- The ladder or your body should not touch lethal overhead power lines while you’re working.
- Aluminum Wiring will need special handling and it’s advised to call in a licensed professional to work with it.
- Also, installing motion detector lights is pretty easy but each brand has some slightly different details, so please read the instructions and information printed on the outside of the box.
How do Motion Detectors work?
Motion detectors are electronic devices that detect infrared energy. The motion sensors are made sensitive to human temperature to detect human activity. The infrared light bumps electrons off a substrate, and the signal is amplified when these electrons are detected. The key is to strategically place and aim the lights where they can at least blind an intruder temporarily, while also alerting you, your passerby, and your neighbors about the activity.
The outer refractor/lens may have to be cleaned occasionally. The refractor/lens should be cleaned in a solution of warm water and a mild nonabrasive household detergent, then rinsed with clean water and wiped dry. If the optical assembly becomes dirty on the inside, wipe the refractor/lens and clean it in the same manner as mentioned above, replacing damaged gaskets as necessary.
The Bottom Line
We hope that the information above provides you with an easy way to install the lights and all the important points to remember while installing them.
Installing security lights can be the best bet for you if you want your homes to be protected from intruders or just want them to feel safe. The installation process is easy as long as you take all the precautionary actions. If not, you can always ask a professional for help.
We write frequently about the various lighting tips on our website. Visit regularly if you want any professional advice when it comes to lighting solutions.
I’m Robert and I’ve been a mechanical engineer my whole life. I have been fixing lights for a few years now and I want to help people decide what’s the best for them. Contact me if you think there are any changes to be made on the website.