Lava Lamps have been around for ages, and they are still very popular. These Lamps are used for decoration purposes and look beautiful when they glow. The kind of work that goes into making Lava Lamps is also exciting to note. These Lamps are super aesthetic and will catch anyone’s attention when placed in the room.
Read on to know all about Lava Lamps and how they work. This article also covers some facts about Lava Lamps and how to make your very own Lava Lamp with some essential household items.
What is a Lava Lamp?
A Lava Lamp is a kind of light that is used mainly for decorative purposes. It has a coloured oily fluid that flows up and down inside the light chamber that resembles Molten lava. The oily fluid flows up and down, constantly changing its shape and pattern.
How long does a lava lamp take to heat up?
Lava Lamps usually take an hour to heat up after turning them on. The first form stalagmite shapes, and then they will take up the shape of the lampshade. Newer bottles can take much longer to heat up than older ones, but heating will eventually decrease with each use.
How do Lava Lamps work?
The effect of the lamp is due to the fluids that are present inside the light chamber. The fluids that are present inside have different densities, and thus one floats in the other. The fluids are typically chosen by how they expand when heated.
When the heat warms up the fluid that is sitting on the lamp, it expands, further lowering the density of the fluid. When the density decreases, the fluid rises towards the surface, but by the time it reaches the surfaces, the fluid starts cooling, leading to the density again. The fluid sinks to the bottom again due to the rise in its thickness. When it reaches the bottom, it heats up and starts rising again. This process keeps repeating, which creates the patterns on the lava lamp.
Make your own Lava Lamp
You can make a DIY Lava Lamp at home using some basic household items. Let’s look at how to make a small Lava Lamp :
Things you will need
- Glass Bottle
- Vegetable Oil
- Food Colouring
- Alka – Seltzer
1. Fill 3/4th of the glass bottle with Vegetable Oil
2. Fill the rest of the 1/4th with water. The water, being heavier than oil, will sink to the bottom of the bottle and look like clear round blobs.
3. Add a few drops of food colouring. The food colouring will also sink to the bottom of the bottle, colouring the water.
4. Slowly drop the Alka – seltzer tablet into the water.
5. The Lava Lamp will start erupting. When the reaction begins to slow down, add more Alka – seltzer in the bottle and watch them explode.
Some Facts About Lava Lamps
- The Lava Lamps were invented sometime around 1948 – 1954, which means they have been around for more than fifty years!
- The lava lamp was originally called the “ Astro Globe”, but after they brought them into the U.S., and changed the name was changed to “ Lava Lamps”, which they are known as today.
- The Lava Lamps were primarily popular in the 90s.
- Lava Lamps help you stay relaxed and calm because of the glow movement. The beautiful patterns and colours help people to destress and wind down.
How to take care of a Lava Lamp
- Keep the lava lamp away from direct sunlight. It may cause the colours to fade away.
- Do not shake and move the lamp much to avoid making the lamp cloudy.
- Do not place the lava lamps in extremely hot or cold areas. It can affect the functionality of the lamp negatively.
- Let the lava lamp warm up properly when using it for the first time. It may take up to three to four hours when using it for the first time.
- Use the lava lamps in places with a room temperature of about 68 degrees Fahrenheit for the best results.
- If your lava lamp becomes too cloudy, leave the lamp undisturbed for some hours and let the wax settle down.
- Do not use the lamp for more than 10 hours at a time.
Things to remember (Caution)
- Lava Lamps contain paraffin wax and other chemicals. If there is any leakage, do not touch, inhale or by any means put it in your mouth. Doing any of the things listed can create a chance of cancer or intoxication.
- You should always be careful when handling electrical appliances. It is always advised to use it carefully to prevent any harm to you.
Lava Lamps have always been popular, even after being around for more than fifty years. It is interesting to know that these lights are still in so much demand as they were years ago, thanks to the cool and groovy style they have.
The Lava Lamps were associated with the countercultural and psychedelic era during the 1960s, and they are associated with the nightlife due to their increase in demand in clubs. However, one can note that the hype of these lamps will not be dying anytime soon and will continue to create a mood and appeal to the people for generations to come.
I’m Robert and I’ve been a mechanical engineer my whole life. I have been fixing lights for a few years now and I want to help people decide what’s the best for them. Contact me if you think there are any changes to be made on the website.